Thursday, December 18, 2008

A much needed Shelter.

*** 1st - thanks again for more great advice. The taking away is working. Last night one of his Bakugan's was thrown in the trash. I want to get it out so bad and hide it.***

Now for the post........

This past Saturday a friend and I took our kids to a shelter to see another side of life. This shelter is for homless kids age 10 and up. We took much needed donations, clothes and gloves, hats, etc. I cleaned out my oldest sons closet.

We decided to hang out for awhile too and meet the kids. Turns out there were only 2 boys there at the time, some others were out on a "pass."

We met Jordan, 14 and Herman 16. Both of them were very nice young men. My friend played pool with Herman and Janice the woman that runs the place at night. I watched my oldest play foosball with Jordan. My son who is 12 beat the pants off Jordan. Apparently Jordan is "king" of foosball and pool so it was pretty funny watching a younger kid mop the floor with him. Jordan took it all in stride, he was impressed and not in the least bit bothered by this kid beating him. I however was amazed and did not even know my son knew how to play foosball.

My younger son played air hockey with my friends son and Janice kept score. We all had a great time. I think Herman even played football with my oldest on playstation 2.

Does it sound like this shelter has a lot of fun things? Yeah it does. But let me tell you something. Everything there was donated and not in very good shape. The pool table has a huge rip in the felt and there is only one stick. The Playstation game is old and they only have 2 games. There is a dart board with no darts. There are at least 6 guitars that do not work, one that does but there are not any pics or music to play.

Jordan was fiddling with the one good guitar, so I started chatting with him. He can play a little but it is hard when there is not any music to follow and then he tried to play a song with a pencil since there was no pic. I learned that he used to play the trombone. This gave me an "in" my son plays the trumpet. He has not played his trombone for 2 years because he is not at that school anymore.

If you are at this shelter you go to school there. You are taken out of your current school and forced to go there. He said he cannot go to a new school until next fall. This seemed to upset him, so conversation over.

Now - here comes the sad part. A lot of the times these kids are troubled or runaways but MOST of the time it is the other way around. Their parents do NOT want them.

I started asking Janice questions about the boys. I learned that both of these boys have mothers that said, I'm done, I do not want you anymore. They both have younger siblings that they are seperated from. Jordan had been there 3 weeks that day and will be there at least 90 days total, Herman only about a week longer. They both will spend CHRISTMAS in this place.

After 90 days they try to place them in foster care. Rarely do the parents change their minds and want them back. Even if they did there is a lot to go through to get them back. THERE damn well better be. Parents that give up their kids is the most disturbing thing to me.

I learned that people donate to this shelter pretty often but rarely does anyone stay and hang out like we did. I was told the boys will talk about it non stop the minute we leave.

I told Janice I would be back. I have now raided my husbands closet and found clothes to fit these boys because they need them badly.

On the way home, I asked my oldest if he understood why we went there. He had no clue. So I explained why those boys were there, every detail including the mother giving them up.

He said, we have it really good.

I hope to go back this weekend, I wish I could bring Jordan home, he is so sweet. We can take them on outings so I probably will, both boys if I can afford it or take my friend with me.

I got a lot out of going and I want to help. I have always donated things but never got involved with something like this.

Oh yeah and I am off to get some guitar music and a pic too and maybe donate some of my sons PS2 games. ;)

5 comments:

  1. You all have given this boy a wonderful gift, besides the donations!

    My children have been involved with homeless shelters. The oldest one has been part of a group of children from her school which for years used to cook about a hundred meals each Sunday. They rotated houses of their parents where they prepared the hot meals and then drove off together, usually to Lafayette Square, right in front of the White House.

    There are groups everwhere which try to help the down and out, and people like you make it possible to not only continue this work, but to offer a little more to kids like the ones you met. I am sure your oldest, and in the long run also the younger one will learn a lot for their own good by the example you set in getting involved with those who are less fortunate.

    Hugs,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! My parents would volunteer us to do soup kitchen duty. It was a valuable and rewarding experience for me growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. our church supports about 10 childrens homes through out the nation plus we also support many missionaries. One of the childrens homes that we support we visit every year before Christmas. Year before last my oldest daughter who was 14 at the time decided to go with us. She was disgusted with some of the stories of these children for the same reason you were concerning the boys, their parents didn't want them, they were tired of dealing with them. There were three siblings there that get to go spend some weekends with their parents because their parents can't afford to support all of them all the time but the parents are at the home every day to visit and help out where they can, they also live very close to the home.

    It is for this reason that I think we as a country need to start worrying about and taking care of those in need on our on shores before we start going to help others out in different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i so agree with you Breazy - iget so mad at those commericals about 3rd world countries when there are starving people right down the road or in the next town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have it really good, because you care so much, God bless you

    ReplyDelete