Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Difficult 5 year old

My 5 year old son acts like he is 2! HELP ME. On Sunday he screamed and cried for 20 minutes because I turned off his NOGGIN and turned on Christmas music while I was cooking. I tried to explain to him that he had enough cartoons for one day and he just screamed more. So, ignored him, cooked dinner and hoped he would stop soon. The holiday music was loud too! ;)

Suddenly after 20 straight minutes (yes I did time it) he stopped. He came in the kitchen and said "Sorry Mommy for yelling at you." I said OK and went back to cooking. What the heck do I say? It's ok? NO it is not OK. For whatever reason he does not get it. He really does act like a 2/3 year old when he is told NO.

The worst part is that he was just as bad when he was 2. One minute sweet as can be and the next screaming because someone tells him NO. I recall a day back in November of probably 2006 when I told my husband I thought I needed professional help because I wanted to strangle the kid. He had been behaving badly for probably a month straight and I simply could not take it anymore. I was having terrible thoughts and it scared the doodoo out of me. I believe I even blogged about it on my old site which will remain nameless for now. :)

My other half (husband) told me it was ok. Lots of people have these thoughts and they are good parents and the DO NOT act on them. We all have moments of weakness, as long as we know good and bad, it is ok. I despise the so called parents out there that do act on them. They should not be parents.

Any advice for a troublesome 5 year old?

8 comments:

  1. it has been a while since any of mine were 5 but I remember those days. The only thing I know to tell you is to send him to his room and tell him he has to stay in there until he can act like somebody. It might take a few times but he will learn what happens when he behaves badly.

    On another note...it is so good to see you back in the blog sphere, most of us are still here from before, some of us don't get to blog all that often but we are still here.

    Welcome Back!!! HUGS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Breazy! It is good to be back. Thanks for the advice. I do send him to his room, it rarely works, but I will keep at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I believe in a good spanking but of course that is not everyone's cup of tea, so Breazy's idea of sending him to his room would work, or start taking things away. I knew a couple that when their child starting throwing temper tantrums they took away one toy and gave it to charity. It sounds harsh but the child learned a lesson very quickly.
    I am glad to see you back in blogger world, maybe this go round will be even better! We all need a place to vent and create. As for wanting to "murder" your son at times, we all get that way I think, but like your husband said the difference is those who act upon it and those who don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess as long as you don't give in to him when he throws the tantrums it may change. When I was a nanny I did time out for one minute times their age (so five minutes for your little one) and then after told them why they had time out, asked for an apology and then moved on to playing. I also ignored them while they were in time out, because they tended to act out. Is your son getting enough sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oy vey. I feel your pain. Mine's three but sometimes acts like he's fresh out of the womb and denied access to breastmilk.

    I am a firm believer in a careful concoction of spanking and time-out.

    Like you, I've had thoughts of strangling. SERIOUS thoughts. I have actually walked away and gotten into the shower so I could make damn sure he could slip out of my grip if I got my hands on him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey girls! I also believe in spanking, we have been spanking him and trying to put him in time out for 2 years. NOT WORKIN! it works for the moment, the bad behavior however does not improve. i may have to write more about it to explain further, not sure yet. BUT THANKS - i have missed all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog!

    I have four children.
    Have you ever read Penelope Leach?
    I love her. Louise Bates Ames was a life saver for me, her books ("Your Two Year Old", and so on, a book for every year of your child) explain so very well the developmental stages your child is going through, thus making it easier to understand their behavior and react accordingly.

    Never ever forget who is the adult!

    Good luck,
    merisi

    ReplyDelete